As we’ve come to the close of the 2021-2022 school year, Students for Life of America (SFLA) will be giving out three end-of-year awards for Best New Group, Best High School Group, and Best College Group—and you get to help us choose which groups deserve these awards! Read below to find out about one of the schools that has been nominated to receive Best High School Group of the Year: Austin Students for Life!
The Austin Students for Life group was founded in the Fall semester of 2020 and currently has 15-20 active group members. During the pandemic, the group was still able to meet biweekly at either a cathedral or library, and they spread out during meetings and wore masks if they chose so that everyone felt safe and welcome while still working towards life for the preborn.
Although they could not volunteer at the local pregnancy resource centers (PRCs) due to restrictions at the time, their group still had student-led apologetics sessions, prayer events, and guest speakers to educate them further on pro-life issues. They also did several service projects such as writing thank you cards to PRC workers and pro-life movement donors who make our work possible, as well as made care bags for sidewalk advocates to give to abortion-seeking women while they minister outside of abortion facilities.
The group’s plan is to continue being an active voice on the sidewalk for life, no matter what the abortion lobby throws at them. They regularly pray and minister at a local abortion facility called the Austin Women’s “Health” Center. The pro-abortion escorts at this location have always been upset by the students’ peaceful presence and life-affirming signs on the sidewalk, particularly their Standing With You signs.
This spring, these facility escorts called the police on the Austin Students for Life group, but the students stayed calm and kind during their interaction with the policemen. Of course, it was determined that they had not been breaking any laws so the group continues to be a witness for life to the women entering this sad facility.
The Austin Students for Life group President Grace also recently helped launch SFLA’s Campaign for Abortion Free Cities in Austin, Texas. For the past few months, members of their group have been working very hard to learn the details of the campaign and find good areas for outreach, recruitment, and training. Their end goal is that all their members will be trained to join them in door-to-door outreach.
The group really showcased their bravery and dedication for life when they joined SFLA staffers for a tour stop in downtown Austin—not the easiest place for pro-life conversations! Clearly, the Austin Students for Life are and will be greatly involved in getting out the pro-life message into their community.
To learn more about this group, here are some more activities that the Austin Students for Life participated in:
- They hosted a beginning of year picnic.
- They planned and executed a Dance for Life fundraiser, and the proceeds went for the group’s trip to the National Pro-Life Summit and the National Pro-Life March.
- They attended a Heartbeat bill Celebration.
- They toured the St. John Paul II Life Center.
- They participated in several 40 Days for Life campaigns.
- They attended a rapid response to the Austin Women’s March.
- They participated in a Life Chain.
- They attended a candlelight prayer vigil outside of an abortion facility.
- They volunteered at the Annunciation Maternity Home.
- They testified for the Chemical Abortion Safety Regulation Bill (Texas SB4).
- They hosted a guest speaker on fertility awareness, as well as former Planned Parenthood employee Abby Johnson and SFLA Midwest Regional Manager Sarah Zarr.
To vote for the Austin Students for Life group to win Best High School Group of the Year for 2021-2022, click HERE!
Share this post