Does your group struggle with recruitment? Oftentimes, people just don’t know that your group exists. An “I am the Pro-Life Generation” photo booth event is a great way to spread awareness and get pro-life peers excited about being publicly pro-life (which, in turn, makes them more likely to join your group).
SFLA Resources to Request from your Regional Coordinator:
- “Join Us” post cards
- “I Am The Pro-Life Generation” laptop stickers & wristbands
- “Recruitment and Retention” training
- Reserve the space for the photo booth.
- A high traffic area is best, and try to host the display multiple days with different class schedules to reach more students. We recommend the time slot of 10am-2pm.
- Get your supplies.
You will need: White or brightly colored foam board, pencil, ruler, x-acto knife, wide permanent markers (black or dark blue is best).
- Candy (it’ll attract people to your table!).
- A clipboard and sign-up sheet.
- Make the photo frame!
- Using the pencil and ruler, lightly draw a straight line 3” or 4” inside the cardboard on all sides of the frame.
- Use the xacto knife to cut along the line so that you have a frame!
- Write “I Am The Pro-Life Gen” or “#ProLifeGen” on the frame. Trace the words before writing them in permanent marker. Double check your spelling. Make your font legible and bold.
- Organize workers for the photo booth.
- Ask members to sign-up in shifts to work the display. Ask at least two members to be present at all times. Set-up at least 20 minutes early.
- Ask your Regional Coordinator to give your group an “Abortion Apologetics” training so your members are prepared for any hard questions they may get.
- Work the Photobooth!
- Today is the day! Your goal is to spread awareness that our generation is pro-life and recruit other pro-life students to join the movement! On your table, have the “I’m the Pro-Life Generation” photo frames, stickers, and wristbands. As students pass by, simply smile and ask, “Are you pro-life?” or “Would you like to take a picture in our photo frame?”
- If someone asks what you are doing, you can explain something like: “We are with (name of your group). Today, we are asking people to take photos with these signs. We’ll be posting these on our Facebook page (or other social media account) as a part of our ongoing campaign to show that we are the pro-life generation!
- If someone says that they are pro-life, get their picture taken with the photo frame, text it to them, and offer them a sticker and wristband! And ask if they want to get involved in your group!
- Post your pictures on social media!
- Post them on your group social media and encourage everyone you met to post their picture in the photo frame. You want it to be cool to be pro-life!
What if someone gets upset?
If someone is upset and angry, stay calm. Remember, you don’t know their story. They may have abortion in their past. You are representing your group, Students for Life of America, and the pro-life movement. Be loving, be kind, be truthful, and your display will touch many people.
Questions? Contact your Regional Coordinator at [yourstate]@studentsforlife.org for more information.