Students for Life Action Calls on Congress to Prevent Online Distribution of Dangerous Chemical Abortion Pills known to Kill Women and the Preborn
“Corporate Abortion and their political allies have laid the groundwork for dangerous online Chemical Abortion Pill distribution, without regard to the health and safety of the women taking the drugs or for the infants losing their lives,” said SFLAction’s Kristan Hawkins. “No medical reason exists for setting up No Test, Online distribution. This is all about making it easier for Planned Parenthood and abortion profiteers to sell Death by Mail, cutting their costs, and eliminating any effort on their part to help women when the pills fail.”
- Students for Life Action/Students for Life of America has been a leading force in confronting the exploding Chemical Abortion Pill market, now 54 % of abortions before 9 weeks.
- Chemical Abortion Pills cause four times the complications as surgical abortion, with a risk of death that is ten times higher, according to a National Institute of Health Study.
- FromCharlotte Lozier: “The rate of abortion-related emergency room visits following a chemical abortion increased over 500% from 2002 through 2015, according to an analysis of Medicaid claims data. Over the same period, chemical abortions within the study population increased from 4.4% to 34.1% of total abortions.”
- SFLAction is sending a letter to Congress asking for an urgent response to the possibility that on Dec. 16th the FDA will drop health and safety standards, allowing a nationwide online abortion pills market.
- As more than nine out of 10 abortions take place before 13 weeks of pregnancy, according to the CDC, efforts to address Chemical Abortion Pills used for early abortions impact the vast majority of abortions today.
- Contact Members of Congress atThesePillsKill.com
MEDIA ADVISORY: ON DEC. 16TH, PRO-LIFE LEADERS TO ADDRESS HOW “THESE PILLS KILL” & WHAT CAN BE DONE
In a virtual news conference at 11:30 a.m. EST, Students for Life Action President Kristan Hawkins, SBA List President Marjorie Dannenfelser, Americans United for Life President Catherine Glenn Foster, & Dr. C. Brent Boles will discuss the implications of dropping health and safety standards on life-ending drugs. Event Details TBA. Reporters can inquire at [email protected]
WASHINGTON D.C. (11-18-2021) – As highlighted in the Heritage Foundation’s Daily Signal exclusive, Students for Life Action President Kristan Hawkins sent a letter to all members of Congress today warning of the dangerous plans in the works that would allow deadly online distribution of Chemical Abortion Pills without taking precautions to prevent women’s injuries, infertility, or deaths, as well as making it easy for abusers to get hold of the drugs to give them to women without their knowledge or consent. Hawkins observed: “Even people presumed to support abortion see the deadly risks of reckless distribution of Chemical Abortion Pills. Our own Students for Life polling finds that more Millennials and Gen Z than not support having health and safety standards in place to protect women, with 55% wanting in-person distribution of the pills to stop abusers from getting the drugs.
“Even if you support abortion – and I don’t – this reckless pill pushing ends the lives of preborn infants and can harm and kill women, as the FDA itself knows. No medical reason exists for setting up No Test, Online distribution. This is all about making it easier for Planned Parenthood and abortion profiteers to sell Death by Mail, cutting their costs, and eliminating any effort on their part to help women when the pills fail.”
Hawkins writes in the letter: “An abortion crisis is developing in America through a radical shift in policy in the works that will create a reckless Death-by-Mail, online, Chemical Abortion Pill market. You have a chance to get ahead of this extreme change in abortion policy that will rival the societal change that followed Roe v. Wade.
… (W)hile all eyes are focused on the Supreme Court a change is quietly underway at the Federal Food and Drug Administration (FDA) just as radical as Roe and with far reaching implications for most abortions. The FDA is contemplating getting rid of health and safety standards for Chemical Abortion Pills used to end preborn life currently up to 11 weeks of pregnancy. This is a sweeping change when you consider that more than 92 percent of abortions take place before 13 weeks of pregnancy, according to the CDC.
“As I wrote in National Review: “Science has always taken a back seat to politics when it comes to chemical-abortion pills, examples of which include, RU-486, a two-drug combination of mifepristone and misoprostol that together ends a life. The first drug starves a baby by cutting off progesterone, sometimes called the “pregnancy hormone” that equips the uterus to feed and protect the baby. The second causes horrific contractions, expelling what can be a living infant.”
“Consider that the ‘pills cause four times the complications as surgical abortion, with a risk of death that is ten times higher, according to a National Institute of Health Study.’
“Yet the FDA is saying in court documents that the health and safety standards in place for Chemical Abortion Pills that require supervised distribution may be dropped as early as December 16, allowing dangerous on-line, no test sales of the pills. These standards known as REMS – Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategy – are in place to prevent injury and death to the mothers taking the pills. Such a change will be good for Corporate Abortion as they can easily sell abortion pills on-line, unhampered by examinations or follow care for women, who may want to survive taking Chemical Abortion Pills with their lives and their fertility.”
To read the entire letter, click here.
As Hawkins notes, the remedy for the current crisis includes Congressional support for H.R. 5136. Rep. Bob Good’s Teleabortion Prevention Act of 2021. The measure will prevent deadly online abortion pill distribution by requiring abortionists to examine a mother before selling her the pills, which is a life-saving/fertility protecting effort, and it also demands a follow up examination that can eliminate the risks for life-threatening infection from an incomplete abortion. This not only protects women’s lives and health, but it also ensures that a woman is not being coerced or abused.
In addition, U.S. Senators and U.S. Representatives can draw attention to the issue through use of the bully pulpit and in conversations about President Biden’s recent pick to head the FDA.
Hawkins notes in the letter: “Recent news that President Biden has nominated Dr. Robert Califf to head the FDA indicates that women are at even greater risk, given that while in the Obama administration, Califf presided over reduced health and safety standards for Chemical Abortion Pills. He would be joining an administration known for radical abortion activism and abusive use of political power to serve abortion industry interests.”
Students for Life has been a leader in addressing the coming crisis of increased Chemical Abortion Pill pushing, especially among young women. Stopping this new frontier in abortion, as brick and mortar abortion vendors move to online pill pusher is a crucial SFLAction legislative priority.
Our efforts include in part:
- Fighting California’s efforts to require all publicly funded colleges and universities to distribute deadly Chemical Abortion Pills through school healthcare centers, through rallies, lobby days, community engagement, testifying, and aggressive social media and traditional media engagement.
- Supporting the SFLAction inspired Legislation Introduced by U.S. Representative Chip Roy (R-TX) and U.S. Senator Steve Daines (R-MT),The Protecting Life on College Campus Act of 2021 that would prohibit federal funds from being directed to institutions of higher education that offer abortion procedures and Chemical Abortion Pills to students and faculty.
- Working with a powerhouse,pro-life coalition on state-based legislation to prevent deadly, online distribution.
- Developing a legislative operation to assist the 14 states where Chemical Abortion Legislation moved this session, using tools such rallies, lobby days, community engagement, testifying, and aggressive social and traditional media engagement, as well as targeted political efforts to achieve a pro-life win.
- Curating the “This is Chemical Abortion” website for up-to-the-minute information and tools to confront the harms of Chemical Abortion, which includes a docuseries “This is Chemical Abortion,” part of an extensive grassroots education effort, partnering with Charlotte Pence-Bond and Heartbeat International.
- Highlighting the medical realities that abortion harms women’s health and fertility through multiple platforms and grassroots engagement.
For interviews, contact Kristi Hamrick at [email protected] or [email protected]
Students for Life Action (SFLAction), a 501c4, along with its sister organization, Students for Life of America (SFLA), a 501c3, make up the nation’s largest, pro-life, youth organization as well as operating a political and policy operation engaging people of all ages. Together they work to end abortion, the human rights issue of our day, and provide political, legal, and community support for women and their children, born and preborn. Headquartered in Fredericksburg, VA, SFLA has more than 1,250 groups on middle, high school, college, university, medical and law school campuses in all 50 states. SFLA creates strategy, policy and programming that connects those most targeted for abortion with people ready to help and builds a framework for political engagement on their behalf. SFLA/SFLAction has more conversations with those most targeted by the abortion industry every day, week, and year than any other pro-life outreach in the world. Every week, Students for Life entities reach more than 2 million people across social media platforms to have nearly 200,000 digital conversations. Under the leadership of SFLA/SFLAction President Kristan Hawkins, who was recruited to build the organization, SFLA has grown over the last 15 years into a $15 million organization preparing for a Post-Roe America.
Share this post