Reporting on behalf of our sister organization, Students for Life Action.
MEDIA NOTE: H.R. 51 is a scored vote on the Pro-Life Generation Scorecard
“The District of Columbia was established to be a bi-partisan haven and instead would become a politically correct bully, especially in the U.S. Senate,” said SFLAction President Kristan Hawkins.
WASHINGTON D.C. (04-21-2021) — This week, members of the House of Representatives will be asked to vote on H.R. 51, the Washington, D.C. Admission Act. Students for Life Action opposes the measure and will score a vote on H.R. 51, which would make the District of Columbia the nation’s 51st state.
“The District of Columbia was established to be a bi-partisan haven and instead would become a politically correct bully, allowing activists to ‘Senate Pack’ and force two, more liberal votes on the rest of the nation,” noted SFLAction President Kristan Hawkins. “For those who want D.C. to be a state, do it the right way — amend the Constitution. If you can’t get consensus for such a radical change, you shouldn’t do it.”
Hawkins noted the Top 5 Reasons to Oppose D.C. Statehood
- We oppose “Senate Packing.” This is an effort to get two, more reliably liberal votes in the U.S. Senate. New York Post: “After all, the only reason Democrats want to turn DC into a city-state is because it guarantees them two seats in the Senate, a fact that is completely reasonable to point out.”
- We oppose a partisan power grab. Advocates are direct that the purpose of it is to “build and develop power,”which they say Democrats should publicly embrace.
- We oppose unconstitutional acts. To make that change, you need a Constitutional Amendment.
- We oppose a bitterly partisan home for our nation. The nation’s capital was to be independent and the seat of government. At Heritage: “The Framers of the Constitution believed that the federal government needed to have control over the seat of government—over the place where it was to conduct its business—so that it would not find itself beholden to a particular state government for its day-to-day needs. The states, after all, are (or at least were then) independent sovereigns jealously guarding their political power against federal intrusion from Washington.”
- We fear what would happen to pro-life people within the District, already known to be hostile to viewpoints not shared by those in power. Consider that two Students for Life students were arrested simply for trying to chalk BLACK PREBORN LIVES MATTER, while destruction and vandalism associated with other points of view were ignored. In addition, Washington D.C.’s long-term abortion advocacy makes it likely to attempt to force a radical abortion agenda.
For interviews, contact Kristi Hamrick at [email protected]
Students for Life Action (SFLAction) is the 501c4 sister organization of Students for Life of America (SFLA), the nation’s largest, pro-life, student organization with more than 1,240 groups on middle, high school, and university campuses in all 50 states. Students for Life has more conversations with those most targeted by the abortion industry every day, week, and year than any other pro-life outreach in the world and mobilizes the Pro-Life Generation to confront abortion at the local, state, and national levels daily. Every week, Students for Life entities reach more than 2 million people across social media platforms to have nearly 200,000 digital conversations with the most engaged pro-life online audience in the world.
Students for Life of America (SFLA) is the nation’s largest, pro-life, youth organization. Headquartered in Fredericksburg, VA, SFLA serves more than 1,240 groups on college and university, middle and high school, medical and law school campuses in all 50 states. Student pro-life organizations work to confront policies on their campuses to support pregnant and parenting students, to end Planned Parenthood’s relationships with schools and communities, and to change minds of their peers about abortion. SFLA has more conversations with those most targeted by the abortion industry every day, week, and year than any other pro-life outreach in the world and mobilizes the Pro-Life Generation to confront abortion at the local, state, and national levels daily. Every week, Students for Life entities reach more than 2 million people across social media platforms to have nearly 200,000 digital conversations with the most engaged pro-life online audience in the world.
Share this post