General Abortion Facts
Abortion Facts & Statistics
It is imperative that pro-lifers be ready to answer questions about abortion and the risks associated with having an abortion. The below information will help you in answering these questions with provable research.
From the Alan Guttmacher Institute:
- 930,160 reported abortions were committed in the U.S. in 2020.
- In 2020, chemical abortion accounted for 54% of US abortions.
- As of 2016, there are 186 abortions per 1,000 live births (about 1 in 5). This means for every five people, there is one missing because of abortion.
- 18% of pregnancies end in abortion.
- 46% of abortions are committed on women less than 25 years of age. That breaks down to 12% on adolescents, and 34% on women ages 20-24.
- Approximately 1/4 of American women have had an abortion by age 45.
- Abortion disproportionately affects black and Hispanic women. Black Americans make up 13% of the population, yet obtain 38% of the abortions.
Click here to read more about abortion risks.
Click here to read more about abortion and racism.
Click here to read more about abortion procedures.