Sidewalk chalking is a fun event in which all that is required are people and a case of sidewalk chalk. Often, it can be an educational event in as well as an effective means of advertising your group. Chalking really is the trifecta of group events: it’s educational for a large group of people, it’s cheap, and it’s fun for your group to do together.
Step by Step Guide
Set Aside Time to Chalk
It is usually wise to chalk in the evening (or very early morning) when there is less foot traffic at your school. If your group meets in the evening, you can schedule your regular meeting time for chalking.
Purchase Your Sidewalk Chalk
Make sure you buy enough for your project! Pro tip: you’ll blow through it faster than you expect. Trust us.
Choose Where to Do It
First, check with your school about chalking policy. On public campuses, they cannot restrict you (especially if they let other groups chalk). Contact SFLA if you run into free speech trouble and we can help.
Choose an area with high traffic so that many students will see your message. Common spaces are outside a cafeteria or dining hall, main class walkways, outside student unions, but you should choose wherever your campus gets the most pedestrian traffic.
Choose Your Messages
There are a lot of options. You can choose to do more of a campaign project, like drawing 947 hearts for every one Planned Parenthood stops every day. Or you can create a list of general pro-life slogans and facts that group members can choose from.
We do recommend creating and printing an actual list of messages. This is for several reasons; first, it ensures cohesive “branding” and good ideas for your members to use. Second, having documentation protects you from getting in trouble if pro-choice vandals make unsavory additions to your artwork (which are typically not G-rated). Sample messages include:
- Pro-life, pro-love
- Pro-life, pro-woman
- Women deserve better than abortion.
- Abortion stops a beating heart.
- The heart starts beating 21 days after fertilization.
- Brain activity starts at 6 weeks.
- Babies feel pain.
- Abortion is a dirty business.
- Abortion betrays women.
- We are the Pro-Life Generation.
- [Our school] supports pregnant & parenting women.
- Equal rights for ALL human beings.
- Abortion is fake feminism.
- Planned Parenthood is corrupt.
- Protect preborn women.
- I am a pro-life feminist.
- Abortion hurts women.
- Planned Parenthood = Abortion
- Better options outnumber Planned Parenthood 20:1
- Drawings of pregnant women.
- Drawings of babies.
- You can also use this event for advertising by including your group’s name and date of your next meeting or event.
More About Sidewalk Chalking
School campuses are not the only places to do pro-life chalking. You can also check out the rules for community spaces like parks, as well as the public sidewalks outside abortion facilities. Here are some specific messages for abortion facility sidewalks:
- Your story matters. You matter.
- You are strong & beautiful.
- You are not alone.
- There is hope.
- You can walk away.
- You are free to walk out.
- You are loved.
- There are better options. www.optionline.org
- There are better options. Text “HELPLINE” to 313131.
- There are better options. Call 800-712-4357.
- We love you both.
It’s not uncommon for pro-choice vandals to mess with your chalk, either right in front of you or during the night. Either way, try not to let it get to you.
If you would like help responding to it, let your Regional Coordinator know at [yourstate]@studentsforlife.org.