FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: June 24, 2008
Contact: (703) 683 – 5004
Megan Erhardt or Kristina Grabosky
Who: African-American Pastors and Leaders, including, Dr. Alveda King, Dr. Johnny Hunter, Day Gardner, Dean Nelson, Rev. Arnold Culbreath, Bishop Harry Jackson, Rev. Jesse Lee Peterson, Rev. Clenard Childress and others.
What: Two separate press conferences to be held, starting at Democratic National Committee and marching to Republican National Committee, to demand both political parties reject Planned Parenthood’s pledged $10 million in campaign funds. The pastors will be carrying signs and ripping up checks from Planned Parenthood for $10 million. Here’s why both political parties need to refuse the money:
* Planned Parenthood is currently under criminal investigation in Kansas for falsifying documents and performing illegal late-term abortions;
* In California, the former Vice President of Finance and Administration for the Los Angeles Planned Parenthood has accused California Planned Parenthood of defrauding taxpayers upwards of $180 million;
* A recent video on YouTube shows a Planned Parenthood development director “excited” at the possibility of taking money specifically earmarked to kill black children. See the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LJVPVh5TWo;
* The Alan Guttmacher Institute, along with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), show that a huge majority of abortion clinics are located in minority neighborhoods and some experts estimate the number at higher than 62.5%;
* Planned Parenthood is the nation’s largest provider of abortions. They have over 850 clinics across the country;.
Where/When: Thursday, June 26th
* 10:00am Press Conference at the Democratic National Committee Headquarters (430 S. Capitol St SE)
* 10:30am March to the Republican National Committee
* 11:00am Press Conference at the Republican National Committee Headquarters ( 310 First St SE)
# # #