(watch this video en Espanol: http://youtu.be/rWlQOeI9vKY)
Our goal is simple: We want to educate this generation about Planned Parenthood’s real motives and turn them against the abortion Goliath and towards pro-life, pregnancy resource centers where they can go for honest, real help.
Why does our Planned Parenthood Project matter? Here are the facts:
- We know this generation is opposed to abortion. Every poll confirms this fact.
- Planned Parenthood is the nation’s largest abortion vendor but they NEVER advertise this fact because this generation rejects abortion. Instead they tell young people about their contraception sales and STD screenings to keep their positive image going.
- Yet, Planned Parenthood preys off young girls in crisis, locating right near our high schools and college campuses, telling them abortion is their only real option in their moment of desperation. According to our own research, 79% of Planned Parenthoods are located within 5 miles of a college campus.
- While non-Planned Parenthood abortion facilities across the nation continue to close, Planned Parenthood props up their un-profitable abortion facilities, allowing them to operate while in the red, using our taxpayer money to keep them going.
- Planned Parenthood is the Goliath of the abortion industry. Many experts believe that once Planned Parenthood dissolves, the unaffiliated abortion facilities across the nation will fold up shop at historic rates as Planned Parenthood won’t be there to protect them anymore.
So, how do we speed up the end of Planned Parenthood? How do we get women facing crisis situations to those who can offer real love and support? We tell young people the truth about Planned Parenthood.
And that’s exactly what the Planned Parenthood Project Tour does. (See our Fall 2013 tour here.)
About the Planned Parenthood project
In Fall 2013, Students for Life of America headed out on a 18,041 mile, 41 university, 20 state, 8 week tour to expose the nation’s abortion Goliath, Planned Parenthood, with whom they target the most – young people. Here’s what the students learned:
Planned Parenthood’s PLAN for YOU
Plan A: Provide poor quality, faulty birth control. In its February 2005 issue of Consumer Reports, the non-profit Consumers Union ranked two of Planned Parenthood’s condom lines the lowest out of all the brands that they tested.
Plan B: Encourage daily hormonal treatment. PP encourages young women to begin a daily regimen of hormonal birth control, and they placate fears about side effects by saying that modern hormonal contraceptives are safer than earlier iterations because they contain smaller amounts of hormones, even though there are still dangerous side effects like death. Should something go wrong though, they’ll then offer you those same hormones in massive doses (the “morning after pill” which can cause early abortions), claim it’s perfectly safe, and hope you won’t notice they’re contradicting themselves
Plan C: Offer deceptive counseling and biased information. If things didn’t go so well with the condoms and birth control, and pregnancy does occur, then Planned Parenthood offers “options counseling” to help decide a course of action. However, dozens of former employees have blown the whistle on the unscrupulous nature of PP’s “options counseling,” acknowledging that it was commonly used to steer women towards abortion (which they profit from) instead of adoption or parenting (which they don’t get paid for). In 2011, PP performed 145 abortions for every 1 adoption referral and has now mandated that every affiliate performs abortions.
PLAN $$$: Money, money, money. According to Guttmacher Institute (Planned Parenthood’s research arm), the median cost of an abortion is $451. This means PP made over $150 million in revenue from the 333,965 abortions they performed in 2011. For years, Planned Parenthood officials, staff, and surrogates have repeatedly promoted false information about the services they offer (falsely claiming they provide mammograms, etc) and the uniqueness of their work to convince politicians to give them $542 million in taxpayer funding just in the 2011-2012 fiscal year alone. However, everything PP sells and provides (except abortion) can be found within the nationwide network of 8,000 taxpayer-funded Community Health Centers at universally lower prices. They provide services such as STD testing/treatment, pregnancy tests, and routine gynecological exams. Go here to locate one www.nachc.com/findahealthcenter.cfm
America’s Largest Abortion Vendor By the Numbers:
• 44% of abortions are performed on women 18-24 years old.
• 59% of 18-24 year-olds do not know that Planned Parenthood commits abortions.
• 80% of Planned Parenthood facilities are located within 5 miles of a college or university campus.
• 92% of Planned Parenthood’s pregnancy services were abortions in 2011.
• 915 abortions are committed by Planned Parenthood every day.
• 333,964 abortions were performed by Planned Parenthood facilities in 2011, their largest annual total ever, more than any other provider.
• $150,000,000 is the amount of revenue Planned Parenthood made from abortions in 2011.
• $542,000,000 is the total taxpayer dollars Planned Parenthood received in the 2011-2012 fiscal year.
*All figures not cited taken from Planned Parenthood Federation of America’s 2011-2012 Annual Report
GET REAL HELP
There are over 3,000 not-for-profit pregnancy help centers across America that provide free pregnancy tests, confidential counseling, free ultrasounds, parenting classes, and material support for young mothers and couples. Go here to locate one of these centers: www.optionline.org or call them at 1-800-712-HELP
Don’t worry if we aren’t visiting your school! You can still participate. Download these flyers, print and post all over your campus to share what Planned Parenthood’s plan is for your campus. Click the links to print out these Expose Planned Parenthood flyers:
As an active pro-life student group, you can also receive free Planned Parenthood cards to distribute on campus. Contact SFLA, and we will work with you to get the number of cards that you need to host a successful event. Community activists may order these cards via our online store.
Also, contact your SFLA Regional Coordinator to discuss talking points and effective strategies for exposing Planned Parenthood on your campus and in your community.
See where the Tour is going:
September 16th: Central Michigan University
September 22nd: Eastern Michigan University
September 23rd: Grand Valley State University
September 25th: Ohio State University
October 1st: Ball State University
October 3rd: Aquinas College
October 16th: Portland State
October 20th: University of Northern Colorado
October 22nd: University of Idaho
October 23rd: University of New Mexico
October 28th: Western Washington University
November 4th: Fort Lewis College
November 14: Colorado Mesa University