According to multiple reports, Planned Parenthood locations nationwide, as well as the national headquarters are suffering from massive turnover and turmoil, including internal disputes over health and safety standards and labor negotiations. Reports and rumors show an organization in chaos, as pro-life policy, like the new Protect Life Rule, and the work of numerous pro-life groups is leading to a budget squeeze at the organization. Prominently, disputes at national headquarters led to the firing of Dr. Leana Wen, who had been at the held for less than a year.
Verilymag.com, a female-centric magazine has an excellent story titled, “Drama in HR: Why Are So Many Employees Leaving Planned Parenthood?”
Margaret Brady writes, “Wen’s departure is making headlines, but her firing is part of a larger recent trend. Some of Planned Parenthood’s most committed employees are quitting, or being dismissed, and they’re not staying quiet about why.
The most recent wave of drama began to trickle into public view in December 2018. That month, the alternative newsweekly Nashville Scene published an extraordinary report based on disclosures from former staffers of a Planned Parenthood-affiliated facility in Nashville, Tennessee, which had abruptly stopped providing abortion services for what officials called ‘a period of quality improvement.’ The ex-employees described a local organization struggling to stay afloat financially that had become intensely focused on the bottom line.”
The Scene article exposes disgusting practices by the local Nashville Planned Parenthood. Two of the eye-popping revelation?
- “Staffers were instructed to begin charging patients for IV sedation, which had previously been included with the abortion procedure. As a result, they say, some women would wait longer to have the procedure or go without the medication. “
- “New management stopped providing doctors with sterile gloves and, staffers say, wanted to use small plastic drinking cups for urine samples.”
For casual news readers or those who have pro-choice beliefs, this news may come as a surprise. After all, Planned Parenthood spends millions of dollars on slick messaging campaigns to convince Americans that they’re just like your local neighborhood health clinic. But, for pro-lifers, we know that Planned Parenthood’s facilities are substandard. That’s one reason they frequently fight any efforts to apply basic medical oversight to their facilities. And it’s why the Missouri abortion facility in St. Louis lost its license.
This past Spring, Students for Life of America went across the country exposing the unsafe conditions at Planned Parenthood facilities across the country. You can read more at PlannedParenthoodTruth.org, but to name just a few of the problems:
- In Pennsylvania, Planned Parenthood failed nearly half of their health inspections.
- The Philadelphia Planned Parenthood failed their responsibility to ensure that young abortion patients were not victims of sexual abuse.
- The Wilmington Planned Parenthood in Delaware repeatedly failed to properly sanitize equipment, including putting patients on dirty examination tables that still contained fluids from the last abortion patient.
Students for Life of America will continue to expose the unsafe conditions at Planned Parenthood; women deserve better.