Two years ago today, Maddi Runkles graduated high school. And it sent shockwaves across the country.
Maddi was a student at a Christian high school in Maryland. Students at the school were required to pledge abstinence as part of their Christian education (completely this private school’s prerogative, of course). When Maddi found herself pregnant as a senior and shared her new motherhood with the administration, the response was less than Christian.
The school was persuaded out of extreme measures like expulsion, but they still managed to prevent Maddi from walking in her graduation ceremony. So on this day two years ago, Students for Life threw Maddi her own graduation – celebrating a young woman who chose life and completed her education.
Students for Life of America is always proud to support and equip women. We developed special campus initiatives (Pregnant on Campus for the college level and Building a Better Future for the high school level) specifically to make sure pregnant and parenting students feel empowered to choose life and succeed. Not every story may make national news like Maddi’s did, but SFLA was blessed with some serious Supportive Services wins this year.
Without further ado, here are our…
Top Supportive Stories of the 2018-2019 School Year
- EIGHT documented baby saves (I.e. a mother considered abortion but chose life due to the direct influence/support of Students for Life). And those are just the documented ones. SFLA student leaders are constantly witnessing outside of abortion facilities, which is known to increase the no-show rate exponentially.
- SIXTY-EIGHT specific mothers assisted, including childcare, financial assistance, legal issues, and parenting supplies.
- EIGHT official campus policy changes, instigated by Students for Life leaders, that made campuses across the country friendlier to pregnant and parenting students. Not to mention, TWENTY more policy changes in progress!
- For instance, Ball State Students for Life worked with their school to get special parking for pregnant students.
- Liberty University is getting to implement the important housing changes they worked with the school to achieve:
- At the University of Nebraska Omaha, Students for Life partnered with the school’s Women’s Center to create special parking passes for pregnant students.
- High school students in Colorado collected 43,051 diapers for local families in need. That’s roughly the population of Leesburg, Virginia.
- ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY-SIX new ‘marketing partnerships,’ meaning an official partnership between a Students for Life group and their local pregnancy resource center.
- THIRTY-THREE groups who have developed relationships with their campus health centers, ensuring that there is life-affirming information about pregnancy resources in the official student health center.
- EIGHTEEN scholarships created for pregnant and parenting students.
- ONE HUNDRED AND NINETY-ONE baby item drives to collect essential resources (diapers, formula, blankets, etc.) for parents in need!
- And countless stories like this:
Stories like this are why Pregnant on Campus was created. Life doesn’t always go as planned, and women deserve to be empowered and supported if theirs doesn’t. It’s our mission for every young woman, even college athletes who face a heightened level of pressure to abort, feel as brave and determined as this young woman.
This is just a sampling of the amazing things that happen every day as a result of the Pregnant on Campus and Building a Better Future Initiatives.
For pro-life students who want to get involved, please contact [email protected].
For adult supporters who would like to contribute financially to these programs, please click here.