Unfortunately, a good chunk of the Northeast tends to be on the pro-abortion side of the aisle. As a result, it can be tough for pro-life bills to be heard and passed. But the Students for Life leaders in Maryland cannot be discouraged! They have had a great presence recently, advocating for pro-life bills and opposing pro-abortion ones.
Our Maryland/D.C. Regional Coordinator, Stephanie Schmitt, provided an update on what’s going on there:
- Physician Assisted Suicide (HB0399/SB0311) – Last week, the PAS was passed in the house. It is my understanding that it is now going to the Senate, and there could be a vote THIS WEEK at any point. On March 8th, I took students to lobby their senators about this. Michele [SFLA Eastern Regional Director] came along as well. It went really well! We were actually told by staff that they had no idea about some of our points, and were truly glad we stopped by even if they supported the bill. We also had a discussion with Senator Hester…and she ended up telling us she supported the bill. However, the students brought up some great points, and we were able to leave literature with her that she said she would look into further. Students who couldn’t make it called in for a call campaign.
For each of the following pro-life bills that were heard 3/8/2019, we had students in the audience with pro-life stickers on, in addition to most of the audience being pro-life. We were a unified front, and tons of amazing testimonies were given.
- HB 630 Abortion Reporting Bill – An abortion reporting bill was heard on March 8th, 2019. Michele [SFLA Eastern Regional Director] testified. I am still waiting to hear the outcome of this bill. This bill is being cross-filed in the Senate and will be heard this Friday. Watch the panel here.
Some other Maryland legislative updates:
- Parental Notification (HB 0964) – I testified on this one. The hearing was on March 8th,2019. No further actions have been taken that I’m aware of. Watch the panel here.
- HB1101 Del Cox, et al : Health – Mifepristone – Administration – The hearing was on March 8th , 2019. Michele testified for this one. No further actions have been taken that I’m aware of. Watch the panel here.
- HB1151 Del Cox, et al : Health – Abortion – 24-Hour Waiting Period – The hearing was on March 8th , 2019. No further actions have been taken that I’m aware of.
- HB1193 Del Cox, et al : Health – Abortion – Facility Requirements – The hearing was on March 8th , 2019. No further actions have been taken that I’m aware of.
- HB1195 Del Cox, et al : Health – Maryland Fetal Heartbeat Protection Act – The hearing was on March 8th , 2019. No further actions have been taken that I’m aware of.
There are always abortion-related bills being introduced – in every state. Your politicians need to hear from you! Get involved with local public policy leaders and pay attention to what’s coming up. Sometimes, just wearing a certain color or certain sticker and just sitting there in support (or opposition) can make a big difference.