The nation’s largest pro-life youth organization, Students for Life of America (SFLA), is seeking an Press Secretary to help grow it’s Communications Team. The SFLA Press Secretary will be responsible for communicating the mission and vision of Students for Life of America by writing op-eds under the President’s byline, website blog posts, and student e-mails as well as pitching media statements and advisories to radio, online, print, and television outlets. The individual will be responsible for building and maintaining relationships with members of the media, booking interviews for the Students for Life of America President, creating monthly media reports, compiling daily news clips and drafting daily news show content.
The Students for Life of America Press Secretary will report to the Vice President of Marketing and Students for Life of America President and work out of the Students for Life of America headquarters in Fredericksburg, VA. This is a full-time, salaried position with benefits.
- Compiles news clips daily, searching through Google Alerts, Meltwater, TV clips, major news outlets, and daily tip sheets to catch relevant stories. These stories are sent every morning by 9:30am to the entire SFLA team. Uses daily news clips to draft text for daily, Facebook news show.
- Drafts at least three or four opinion editorials a month under the President’s byline, over 20 blog posts a month, rapid response statements, press releases, media advisories, pitches, emails, talking points, Q&As, messaging documents, letters to the editor, and any other copy that will be made publicly available.
- Pitches op-eds, statements, press releases, media advisories, and other SFLA-branded messages to media.
- Books media interviews with SFLA team, which includes scheduling, obtaining all necessary details and backup phone lines, and in some cases drafting talking points and questions for the host.
- Updates SFLA Twitter account daily and other social media channels as needed.
- Compiles media lists, which consist of print, TV and radio, for between 60-80 campus tour stops each semester, consisting of dozens of different media markets.
- Pitches multiple campus tour stops to local media every week during the fall and spring semesters.
- Media trains students and new staff as needed, including drafting training presentations and accompanying documents.
- Liaison between students, RCs and our legal teams whenever we have an on-campus legal issue or demand letter that needs to be addressed.
- Edits every donor email (2 or 3 per week) and blog posts from SFLA Initiatives (varies per week).
- Compiles at least three programmatic listservs every week to be sent by a third-party vendor.
- Attends major media events like national marches (March for Life, etc) and big press opportunities like Supreme Court rallies and pitches press on the ground and distributes photographs to media.
- Adds contacts to media lists through Cision program and internal Excel docs as reporters write on issues SFLA cares about.
- Writes monthly media report, including a list of media hits, two Excel docs (for print and radio/TV) for publicity values and reach, and updates monthly metrics goal document.
- Writes white papers for the Institute for Pro-Life Advancement as needed and drafts and executes media plans for release.
- Fosters personal relationships with reporters through frequent contact and in-person media meetings during DC trips.
- Sets up media meetings for the President as needed when traveling.
- Updates SFLA website and blog as new staff are added, errors that need to be corrected, or any number of other requests that need to be updated or added.
- Creates Messaging Documents for team members before breaking issues, events
– Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Excel, and Outlook
– Must be a quick and competent writer with excellent grammar knowledge
– A positive attitude, good problem solving skills, willingness to learn new technology, and a passion to serve in the pro-life movement are a must
– Proficiency in using Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
– Must be able to work in fast-paced, rapid-response environment
– Experience working or volunteering within the pro-life or political Conservative movement is a plus
This is a salaried position determined on experience. Healthcare (including dental and vision), Flex spending, and 401k benefits are available.
Submit Resume and Cover Letter (and any work samples) to Kristan Hawkins at [email protected]