This week was Week 2 of the We Don’t Need Planned Parenthood tour and while it wasn’t as showy as last week, a couple awesome things happened – keep on reading to find out!
At Illinois State University, Reagan Barklage, our Western Regional Director, relayed this story:
In the middle of hosting the We Don’t Need Planned Parenthood display at Illinois State University today, I had a young man walk up to the display and say he has been donating to Planned Parenthood for years.
I asked him if he knew about Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs)? He told me he didn’t so I told him how FQHC’s outnumber Planned Parenthood 20-to-1. I also told him how FQHC’s can offer way more comprehensive services to women, men and children than Planned Parenthood. Americans also have easier access to FQHC’s to Planned Parenthood, since there are only 650 Planned Parenthoods compared to the 13,000 FQHC’s.
The man looked at me in shock and asked if Normal, IL [where ISU is located] had anyFQHC’s, so I pulled up the www.findahealthcenter.hrsa.gov website and typed in our location. Within five miles of our location on campus there are four FQHC’s and 0 Planned Parenthoods.
I said, what do you think about Planned Parenthood now? He looked at me and said, “I think our money should be going to FQHC’s instead. Thanks so much for the information. I learned something new today!” He smiled and walked away.
This is why it’s so important to host displays on campus, because it brings attention to the topic and allows for kind and calm discussion. If we didn’t host this display today, that man may have continued to donate to Planned Parenthood for years to come and not know that his money could be better served elsewhere.
At Cal Poly- San Luis Obispo, Camille Rodriguez, SFLA’s California Regional Director, said:
Along with some great conversations today, we were able to hand out a TON of “We Don’t Need PP” postcards. We give these to students who are in a rush to get to class so they can still get the information.
After reading, one student returned to the display and asked if there was more he could do and signed our letter to Congress to defund Planned Parenthood.
He thanked us for not just giving stats, but for providing solutions.
Sometimes we can get discouraged when people take a flyer and walk by without saying a word, but this is just one example of why being out there and getting visible is so essential! If not now, when?
At the University of St. Thomas in Houston, Texas, Jillian Ferguson, our Texas Regional Coordinator, got this awesome video of the #ProLifeGen giving reasons why we don’t need Planned Parenthood:
If you would like to host the We Don’t Need Planned Parenthood Tour on your campus, contact your Regional Coordinator or email us at [email protected].
- If you are a student inCA, contact Camille Rodriguez.
• If you are a student in OR, WA, ID, HI, or AK contact Katie Lodjic.
• If you are a student in AZ, contact Jake Simon.
• If you are a student in CO or NM, contact Bethany Janzen.
• If you are a student in MI, contact Audrey Nitzel.
• If you are students in IN or OH, contact Anna Allgaier.
• If you are a student in MD, DC, or DE, contact Michelle Hendrickson.
• If you are student in VA or WV, contact Lori Cascio.
• If you are a student in PA, contact Angelica Corridoni.
• If you are a student in KY or TN, contact Brenna Lewis.
• If you are a student in NE, KS, IA, IL or MO, contact Reagan Barklage.
• If you are a student in TX contact Jillian Ferguson.
• If you are a student in NY or NJ, contact Keri Landeche.
• If you are a student in NC, SC, GA, or FL, contact Ryan Eyrich.
• If you are a student in MN or WI, contact Maddie Schulte.
• If you are a student in a state not listed, contact Lisa Stover.