After abortion was (finally) brought up in a presidential debate last week and Donald Trump graphically explained a late-term abortion – that the baby is “ripped out of the womb” – and Hillary Clinton retorted that late-term abortions don’t happen that often and if they do, it’s because of a fetal anomaly. The media freaked out and bolted to Clinton’s defense. They claimed she was right, that Trump was wrong, and published heartbreaking stories of women who chose to abort their babies late in the pregnancy because of a diagnosis that the child was incompatible with life. Comedian and liberal feminist Samantha Bee took to her show “Full Frontal” with a segment that included her shouting through a megaphone that “partial-birth abortions aren’t a thing!”
But that’s not the truth. Hillary Clinton was wrong. The liberal press is wrong. Samantha Bee is wrong. Late-term abortions ARE a thing and women who choose them often don’t make that choice because of a fetal anomaly diagnosis.
Here’s the facts:
- Roe v. Wade and its companion case, Doe v. Bolton, from the U.S. Supreme Court made abortion legal throughout all nine months of pregnancy for any reason whatsoever
- Late-term abortions, usually defined as abortions past viability (24 weeks, although babies have survived who were born earlier) or past 20 weeks, do happen – 15,000 per year according to the Centers for Disease Control (read about abortions past 30 weeks here, testimony from a former Planned Parenthood director about late-term abortions, and the latest in a long list of botched late-term abortions).
- Most late-term abortions are chosen for the same reasons first-term abortions are chosen. Fetal anomalies account for a small percentage of late-term abortions. A paper from the Charlotte Lozier Institute (CLI) wrote about a study where women seeking both first-trimester and late-term abortions reported “not knowing about the pregnancy,” “trouble deciding about the abortion,” and “disagreeing about the abortion with the man involved,” with similar frequency.
- There are five abortion facilities in the country where women can obtain abortions in the ninth month and 162 abortion facilities that do late-term abortion.
- No medical study supports the claim that late-term abortions are necessary to save the life of the mother.
- Partial-birth abortion, where the abortionist kills the baby as it’s legs dangle outside of the mother, was outlawed in 2003. However, the Center for Medical Progress undercover videos at least raised suspicion that some abortionists may still be doing them in order to get intact baby parts to sell. Abortionists have also devised other methods to kill viable babies late in pregnancy.
- Late-term abortions are extremely dangerous for the mother. Kermit Gosnell sits in prison for killing babies born alive during late-term abortions as well as killing mothers. Women have died at the hands of late-term abortionist Leroy Carhart, who is currently being sued for a botched late-term abortion. Douglas Karpen, who not only killed babies born alive after abortions like Gosnell, but a 15-year-old died after an abortion from and another was seriously injured.
Please share this brief video below about late-term abortions in the United States and go to www.latetermabortionisreal.com to learn more. This is a barbaric practice that kills a viable child and is dangerous for the mother.