Congrats, you finished another year of school! Whether you are anxiously awaiting starting college, returning to school, or entering the working world in the Fall (see Pro-Life Future if you just graduated from college), Students for Life of America is here to help you continue your pro-life work. Summertime is perfect for fine tuning your pro-life skills, preparing your group for the upcoming school year, and challenging yourself to try new activities in the movement.
As a leader in your group, spending the summer sharpening your skills and envisioning what would contribute to positive growth of your pro-life group is invaluable. Keep reading or listening to the latest apologetics and dialogue techniques to be effective and stay up-to-date on what is happening with abortion in your communities so you can know to best offer life-affirming alternatives to those in need. You can look ahead to what pro-abortion groups are planning on campus as well, like Sex Weeks, so you can adequately prepare to combat it with accurate information, resources, and support.
Summer Planning Committee
Sometimes things can feel overwhelming and if you don’t know where exactly to start, a great idea is to host a SFLA Summer Planning Committee with your Regional Coordinator. This Planning Committee is to help your group plan out 2016-17 school year events, re-evaluate your vision and mission statements, and complete any SFLA trainings you were not able to have during the past school year. Plus, if you haven’t received your Presidents Binder, you will get one so you can stay organized as a leader! To prepare for the meeting, check out our 2016-17 Plan Your Year Guide to start forecasting what your group events will look like. When you use this in the summertime to plan out the future, you will be less stressed and more organized during the year.
Try Something New
We encourage you to try something new this summer to keep growing into the pro-life leader that you aspire to become. Think about what type of activism you shy away from because of a lack of experience, time, or understanding and add it to your summer agenda! There is no better time than the summer to learn new things. This will gain you experience, grow your range of knowledge, and strengthen your courage, which will undoubtedly help your group when you return to school in the Fall.
Some ideas you can put into action this summer:
- Sidewalk Counseling
- Volunteer at a Pregnancy Resource Center
- Intern or help out state/local Pro-Life Organizations
- Organize a Prayer Vigil at an abortion facility or state capitol
- Help your SFLA Regional Coordinator table at youth events to recruit pro-life students like the Rock for Life Summer Festival Tour
- Complete the Pregnant on Campus Initiative Survey Guide to help pregnant and parenting students on your college campus
As Regional Coordinators, we can help you create a plan, challenge your comfort zone, train you, and even go out with you while doing new activism. One of the best ways you can make this new start of trying something new is to find an accountability partner, someone who will step outside their comfort zone and try that new activity with you. Even if they have done it before, you can grow together and support one another.
Whatever your vision is as a pro-life leader, use this summer vacation to really think about how you can best contribute to the pro-life movement on a local, state, and national level. The impact you have on your community is profound, so never doubt yourself. If you run low on ideas or encouragement, never hesitate to reach out to your local SFLA Regional Coordinator. Need help finding yours? See below:
- If you are a student in CA or NV, please contact Emily Wilkinson.
- If you are a student in OR, WA, ID, MT, HI, AK, ND, or SD, please contact Lisa Stover.
- If you are a student in CO, NM, WY, UT, or AZ,please contact Lo Castillo.
- If you are a student in MI, IN, or OH, please contact RJ. McVeigh.
- If you are a student in VA, MD, DC, PA, or DE, please contact Michele Hendrickson.
- If you are a student in KY, TN, or WV, please contact Brenna Hartwell
- If you are a student in VT, CT, NH, MA, RI or ME, please contact Jane Riccardi.
- If you are a student in NE, KS, IL, MO, or IA, please contact Reagan Barklage.
- If you are a student in OK or TX, please contact Katie Martin.
- If you are a student in NY or NJ, please contact Keri Landeche.
- If you are a student inGA, FL, SC, or NC,please contact Ryan Eyrich.
- If you are a student inWI or MN,please contact Maddie Schulte.