This summer, you can earn six semester units of college credit mastering the art of pro-life persuasion at a fraction of the cost of other summer programs! All it takes is attending two classes July 13-24 and completing your coursework from home.
Want to make a difference on your campus and beyond? These two courses will enable you to persuade others to the pro-life view whether in one-on-one conversations or giving a speech in one of your classes. And if you’re interested in a pro-life career, two additional courses will be offered in Summer 2016 to receive a certificate and a full major will be launched in Fall 2016.
- Classes meet at Oklahoma Wesleyan University (OKWU)
- Pro-life Apologetics, July 13-17, taught by Scott Klusendorf
- Pro-life Public Speaking, July 20-24, taught by Dr. Marc Newman
- Reading assignments begin May 15, instruction begins July 13 at OKWU
- College Credit: 3 semester units per class
- Tuition: $250 per credit hour (dorm room available at a nominal cost)
Sign-up for courses at http://www.okwu.edu/bioethics/. Space is limited, so sign-up today.
Earn Transferable College Credit
No matter where you go to school or what your major—pro-life apologetics and pro-life public speaking—are accredited and open to everyone. You’ll not only get valuable pro-life training, you’ll earn college credit doing it! And you don’t have to change schools to benefit from these two classes.
Joining Scott Klusendorf this summer is Dr. Marc Newman. He is the former Director of Speech and Debate at the University of California at Irvine, and currently teaches in the doctoral program in the School of Communication and the Arts at Regent University. Marc’s debate teams have won championships at the national level. Dr. Newman is a highly sought after speaker at pro-life conferences and banquets.
Beginning July 13, you will spend a week with Scott Klusendorf mastering the moral logic of the pro-life view. Then, for week two, Dr. Marc Newman will teach you to communicate pro-life truth in public forums. Scott’s class will teach you what to think and say on the abortion issue. Marc will train you how to say it. When you finish up these two summer classes, you’ll be equipped to make a lifetime impact.
Unlike the typical college course taught by an academic professor with little or no applicable life experience, you get two instructors with years of practical experience in the pro-life movement in addition to strong academic credentials. And your classmates will share your passion for life providing a unique academic experience.
Here’s What You Get
Upon completion of your coursework, you will be equipped to do the following:
- Clarify the nature of moral reasoning, distinguishing moral claims from mere preference ones
- Simplify the abortion debate, distinguishing psychological complexity from moral complexity
- Articulate a persuasive pro-life apologetic that competes in the marketplace of ideas
- Summarize the intellectual arguments for and against elective abortion and embryonic stem cell research and explain why the pro-life view on these issues is persuasive
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of the major thinkers on both sides of the abortion issue, including familiarity with the relevant literature
- Understand the metaphysical foundations of the pro-life view and summarize them clearly
- Distinguish between endowment and performance views of human personhood and explain why only the former can account for human equality
- Interact with leading critics of the pro-life view and formulate responses to their views in language lay people can understand
- Answer the theological case for abortion rights in light of Scripture, philosophy, and science
- Explain the difference between natural rights and merely positive (legal) ones and how confusion over each clouds clear thinking in debates over bioethics
- Trace the intellectual history of the pro-life movement and explain the movement’s strengths and weaknesses communicating key ideas
- Persuasively organize material for a pro-life speech
- Organize your thinking to communicate clearly
- Grab the attention of listeners right out of the gate
- Move listeners to do something on abortion
Additional Courses to Be Offered Beyond This Summer
In Summer 2016, two additional courses will be offered – Biblical Foundations of Life and Non-Profit Organization, Development, and Management. Upon completion of the four courses being offered over the next two summers, you will receive a certificate issued by Life Training Institute and CareNet. For a description of each of the four courses, see http://www.okwu.edu/bioethics/schedule/.
Want to go further than a certificate? Life Training Institute—in partnership with Oklahoma Wesleyan University—is launching the first of its kind applied bioethics major aimed at equipping professional pro-life advocates for full-time service. Students will be enrolled in the major starting in Fall 2016.
Get started today by signing up for Pro-life Apologetics and Pro-Life Public Speaking at http://www.okwu.edu/bioethics/.