Abortion has never been about compassion for women or even about choice. Since the Roe v. Wade and Doe v. Bolton decisions in 1973, nearly 400 women have died from this supposedly “safe” procedure, and over 56 million children have died at the hands of abortionists. Despite the evidence at hand, abortion advocates, like Planned Parenthood, continue to hail the safety and practicality of this procedure (ignoring the physical and mental risks involved).
Why? Abortion is profit and Planned Parenthood wants money. It is a profit taken from vulnerable women who are deceived into believing that killing their child is the only choice in a desperate situation.
In 2011, the average price paid for an abortion was $451. That year, Planned Parenthood committed almost 334,000 abortions, making an estimated 154 million dollars from the deaths of children and the exploitation of vulnerable women. Hundreds of thousands of women walked through the doors of a Planned Parenthood and were deceived into believing that abortion was the only “choice” for them because Planned Parenthood needed to meet their abortion quota.
Planned Parenthood is so desperate for profit, they are willing to operate in unsanitary and unsafe conditions. A Planned Parenthood in Delaware was recently shut down due to their hazardous medical environment and the shoddy practices of their abortionists. Planned Parenthood refuses to support abortion facilities meeting basic health department regulations and as a result we see abortionists like Kermit Gosnell, Douglas Karpen, and Steven Brigham hurting, and even killing women.
The bottom-line: Abortion equals profit. Planned Parenthood does not profit when a woman chooses life for her child. On Planned Parenthood’s 2011-2012 annual report, the records show that there is only 1 adoption referral for every 145 abortions*. Even more frightening, 92% of Planned Parenthood’s pregnancy services (i.e. prenatal services, abortion procedures, and adoption referrals) documented were abortions. The abortion Goliath has mastered the art of creating a customer that leads to their greatest profit. (See full explanation here.)
Nevertheless, many Planned Parenthood advocates will attempt to justify support of organizations with statements like, “But Planned Parenthood offers so many other valuable services to women and to the community! You shouldn’t reject or defund an organization just because they do one bad service!” Unfortunately, these individuals deny the truth of the matter– namely, that abortion kills children and exploits women. No other service, low-cost procedure, or supposedly “good deed” performed by such an organization can justify the blood money being made in abortions.
This month, we challenge you to help us expose the true nature of Planned Parenthood as a business built on greed, not compassion. Help us expose Planned Parenthood at your school and in your community, and join us in actively promoting life-affirming pregnancy help organizations.
Find Real Help and Support
As pro-life advocates, we know that life does not have a price tag, and we know that we can (and will!) find the resources and support for any woman and family experiencing an unplanned pregnancy. There is no situation in life, no matter how unfortunate or desperate, in which we can justify the spilling of innocent blood. We know that what we ask is sometimes very difficult for a woman in crisis to understand, but we promise that we will love and support you the whole way.
There are over 3,000 life-affirming pregnancy help organizations (PRCs) in the United States. To find the PRC closest to you, use the search found here: www.optionline.org.
This month’s box includes the following materials: 50 SFLA “Planned Parenthood Project” cards, 50 SFLA “What Does Planned Parenthood Have Planned for You?” cards, 25 HLA “The Truth Behind Planned Parenthood” pamphlets, 25 copies of LiveAction’s The Advocate, and 20 SFLA “Planned Parenthood Project” flyers.
Please submit your request via our new online form found here. *Boxes are sent to active students or student groups only, while supplies last.* Please only request CURRENT MONTH.
Mark your calendars
- 40 Days for Life kick-off is on March 5th! Join the thousands of pro-lifers around the world in a 40 day presence to end abortion. Find out more about your local 40 Days for Life campaign, and sign-up for a time here. This campaign runs from March 5th until April 13th.
- SFLA Regional Conferences are coming! This is your opportunity to network with local pro-life students and to learn from pro-life leaders and activist! Find a regional conference near you, and register to attend here. Conferences will run from March 15th until April 26th. Contact Missy for more information.
Other dates to remember:
- March 1st – Application available for SFLA’s 2014-2015 Thaddeus Stevens Leadership Fellowship
- March 9th – Daylight Savings
- March 17th – St. Patick’s Day
- March 14th – Application due for Missionary for Life Internship (Available for graduating seniors only)
Take time to review these posts to brush up on your Planned Parenthood talking points. Contact Students for Life of America (SFLA) for more talking points created by SFLA, Alliance Defending Freedom, and SBA List. (Watch the recommended videos below for more help!)
- Planned Parenthood Project
- Planned Parenthood – Just the Facts
- It’s Pretty Ugly
- Planned Parenthood-Gosnell Connection
- Testimonies of former Planned Parenthood workers: Abby Johnson, Marianne Anderson
Expose Planned Parenthood –. Use the cards and brochures provided for you in this month’s box to distribute to your peers. Create tabling displays and posters to highlight your main points, cover your school in flyers, and even chalk. Your ability to spread the truth is unlimited. Here are some tools for this project:
Host a speaker with previous experience in the abortion industry, especially Planned Parenthood. Many abortion industry workers have left the industry (and even converted to Pro-Life efforts) thanks to such ministries as 40 Days for Life and And Then There Were None. See our list of recommended “Former Abortion Industry Workers” speakers here.
Hold a discussion session about Planned Parenthood using the recommended videos below. Use the videos to guide the discussion about Planned Parenthood’s corrupt business practices. Play the video, and then pose questions for the student participants to respond to. Questions may include:
- What part of this video stood out the most to you and why?
- What actions of the participants could be considered immoral or even illegal?
- Does this make you view the abortion industry differently?
Join your local 40 Days for Life campaign! Starting March 5th, 40 Days for Life will organize a 40-day continuous campaign in front of abortion facilities around the world. Commit your group to at least 1 hour each week. If you are trained in sidewalk counseling, reach out to the women (and their company) entering the facilities. If you are not trained in sidewalk counseling, stand in respectful silence or prayer. You can also hold signs such as:
- Your story matters. You matter. Let’s talk.
- There is love and support for you and your baby.
- Pregnant? Call ____ for confidential support.
- You are not alone. Call _____ to talk about your pregnancy options.
* When at the facility, please refrain from words like murder, murderer, sin, evil, etc., and please do not hold graphic image signs. Do not accuse or attack the women or the staff. Consider that the women entering are already desperate, confused, and even scared. We want to be a loving presence. Negativity and anger will scare women rather than encourage loving conversations. Please contact SFLA for sidewalk counseling training for your group.
Sidewalk counsel with a focus on the abortion facility workers. In an effort to bring down the abortion business, we must convert the hearts of the workers. Get your group together to get to the facility at opening hours, and focus your outreach on the workers. Find more help and resources on the And Then There Were None website.
Request a free SFLA training. Trainings can be completed in person or over video chat (e.g. Skype, Google Hangout, or FaceTime). Recommended training: “History of Planned Parenthood and Strategies for Defeating Them” or “Sidewalk Counseling”
Want to know more about Planned Parenthood’s corrupt abortion business? Here is a new video from Students for Life that shows how Planned Parenthood exploits women and creates returning and loyal customers.
Hear the testimony of former abortion facility workers exposing the abortion business.
Still skeptical? Hear it out of Planned Parenthood’s own mouth. Live Action provides undercover videos of Planned Parenthood employees giving misinformation and manipulating women into having abortions
Research Statistics for your local abortion facility. These can often be found online or in other public records published by your health departments
If you know an abortion facility worker who wants to leave the industry, direct them to “And Then There Were None”
*All figures cited in the Planned Parenthood Project were taken from Planned Parenthood Federation of America’s 2011-2012 Annual Report.
Questions? Comments? Let us know what you think about this month’s Event-in-a-Box! Email Missy.