Medical Students for Life of America recently conducted a survey at the 27 medical schools that participated in our 2013 Spring Med SFL Tour. 226 medical students chose to participate in the survey. Of those who participated, 62% of the students said they consider themselves personally pro-life, while the other 38% of the students surveyed said they were personally supportive of abortion services.
These numbers flipped when respondents were asked if they would refer their patients for abortion: 40% said they would not refer their patients for abortions, while 60% said they would refer patients for abortion or were unsure if they would refer for abortion.
The MedSFLA survey mirrors national trends where a majority of young people say they are personally pro-life but their position does not translate into action to avoid being perceived as judgmental.
This moral relativism has crept into our medical schools, where students are being taught that physicians should act as vending machines and dispense whatever the patient wants to avoid perceived moral judgments. The students are encouraged to counsel their patients on the dangers of smoking and a poor diet but when it comes to an elective procedure that will end the life of a human being, students are told to not counsel their patient in a way that will lead the patient towards choosing life.
The Med Survey underscores the need to educate students on the right of conscience and to teach medical students that referring for abortion is the same as conducting the abortion yourself. This fall, we will be traveling the country on our Medical Students for Life Fall tour with pro-life physicians to drive home these important issues. Minds will be changed and lives will be saved because of our efforts.