Doesn’t this seem a strange question to ask? “Where are our girls?” We look around and see “our girls” everywhere. Look left. Look right. There is seemingly many a female in sight. Nevertheless, what many of us are unintentionally overlooking is a growing tragedy in the United States and around the world.
As many as 160 MILLION girls and women are missing world-wide due to sex-selective practices – such as abortion and infanticide. Some have even estimated this number to be as high as 200 million! Unfortunately, national policies (e.g. China’s One-Child Policy) as well as societal preferences for sons have led to sex-discrimination around the world. Even in the United States, baby girls are being discriminated against for a fact of their nature which they cannot control — their gender.
Now maybe you are thinking – “Sure. Gendercide is a big problem in China or India. It’s not an issue here in the US!” However, take a moment to read the following quote…
- “In May 2001, the Ethics Committee of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM)–a group that sets fertility clinic standards nationwide–said it could be ethical for parents to choose their children’s sex for non-medical reasons. They stated that they did not feel that it would be unethical for parents to utilize this technology to select for a child “of the gender opposite that of an existing child or children.” Likewise, they acknowledged, “it would not be unethical for parents to prefer that their first-born or only child be of a particular gender because of the different meaning and companionship experiences that they expect to have.” (*Click here for source)
Again, this committee suggested that it would be ethical for a parent to terminate the life of their child simply because that child was not of the gender that they preferred. For the pro-life movement, there is never an ethical reason to intentionally end the life of a child, and sex-selective abortion represents a grave violation against life and against women. It only further serves to advance the dangerous war on women.
Research has suggested that thousands of baby girls have been aborted in the United States for the sole reason that the baby was not the preferred sex. Moreover, investigations of various Planned Parenthood abortion clinics have showed that workers within these clinics have supported sex-selective abortions.
It is time that we take a stand for women – born and preborn. Every life is valued – male and female, born and preborn. If you have a voice to share and time to spare, STAND UP for the baby girls!
Sex-selective abortion is happening in the United States, and it is our job to expose it. Ready to do something? Host an event on your campus with helpful tools from Students for Life of America, Live Action, or All Girls Allowed! Click the LINK and organize an event on your campus to raise awareness. You can also request free materials to hand out on your campus by contacting our Programs Coordinator.
SHARE A GRAPHIC
You don’t even need to make new graphics! We have them designed for you! Check out our March EIB Graphics page, and put a face to this injustice.
SHOW A VIDEO
Did you know that Planned Parenthood has been shown to allow for sex-selective abortions (despite denying such evidence)? WATCH Live Action videos of undercover footage from Planned Parenthood clinics in TX, AZ, HI, and NC. Share these videos on social media (e.g. Facebook, Twitter), show them at your meetings, and/or set up a viewing and discussion on campus. Use the Live Action “Gendercide in America” fact sheet!
- Possibly 200 Million Girls Missing Due to Sex-Selective Abortion (LifeNews.com)
- Sex-Selection Abortion Hypocrisy (The Washington Post)
- Is Planned Parenthood Bringing Gendercide to America? (LifeNews.com)
- Gendercide in the News (All Girls Allowed)
- Gendercide: The systematic killing of girls (Live Action)
- Unnatural Selection
- A Problem-and-Solution Mismatch: Son Preference and Sex-Selective Abortion Bans (Guttmacher)
- Are There Missing Girls in the United States? Evidence from Birth Data
- President Obama Opposes Ban on Sex-Selective Abortions (LifeNews.com)
NEED A SPEAKER?
As we continue to fight the true “War on Women,” consider bringing in a speaker to discuss Feminism and Abortion. Let these women teach you how you also can fight for the rights of women. Featured speakers include: Serrin Foster, Sally Winn, and Frederica Mathewes-Green.