Sign the Petition
Please sign the petition to our state and national legislators, asking them to abolish abortion after 20 weeks through the Pain-Capable Unborn Children Protection Act.
About the Pain-Capable Unborn Children Protection Act
Fifty-two percent of millennials are in favor of banning abortions after 20 weeks gestation, according to National Journal. Clearly, they understand that abortions at five months along are inhumane and wrong for multiple reasons.
One of those reasons is that babies at this stage, and possibly earlier, have been scientifically proven to feel pain. That means that as their lives are ending through abortion, they feel every prick, pull and ultimately dismemberment of their little bodies. It is truly horrific.
Several states have moved to ban abortions after 20 weeks and the U.S. House of Representatives has voted to do the same. We hope that the remaining states and the federal government, will pass legislation to protect the preborn that can feel pain.
What are the facts?
- According to the Guttmacher Institute (named after Alan Guttmacher, previous president of Planned Parenthood), in 2013, 3.8% of abortions occurred between 16-20 weeks of pregnancy and 1.3% occurred after 21 weeks.
- 16 states currently have passed the Pain-Capable Unborn Children Protection Act as well as the House of Representatives in 2015
- Scientific Proof of Fetal Pain (facts taken from doctorsonfetalpain.com)
- Pain receptors are present throughout the fetus’ entire body by no later than 16 weeks after fertilization, and nerves link these receptors to the brain’s thalamus and subcortical plate by no later than 20 weeks.
- Scientifically proven that by 20 weeks fetuses react to painful stimuli by jerking, recoiling and flinching.
- Scientifically proven that by 20 weeks fetuses that are exposed to painful stimuli during surgery have an increase in stress hormones if anesthesia is not applied.
- Second trimester prenatal screenings are done by taking a pregnant woman’s blood between 15-20 weeks of pregnancy (16-18 weeks is ideal). These tests will determine if the preborn baby has down syndrome or other chromosomal disorders and open neural tube defects like spina bifida – common reasons to abort. (www.hopkinsmedicine.org)
- 67% of preborn children with Down Syndrome are aborted in US
- An ultrasound for an accurate gender determination is done around 20 weeks. Sex selection abortion is legal in the United States.
- Abortion is never medically necessary to save the life of the mother. Leading medical experts speaking at a major International Symposium on Excellence in Maternal Healthcare held in Dublin have concluded that “direct abortion is not medically necessary to save the life of a mother.”